Sunday 1 May 2011

Fabulous Belles on a Treasure Hunt

It is such a long time between rides i thought I would blog about the Treasure Hunt Janet and I did on 30th April.

Organised by one of the ladies from Wrexham Group (and also currently secretary of Chester and North Wales CTC) I know it would be a good (difficult and challenging!) Treasure Hunt.


Diane leaving Expresso Cafe
 So, bright and early on a Saturday morning following a certain wedding, I caught the 8:22 Cardiff train first stop Wrexham.  A couple of miles back roads brought me to Gwersyllt, and the Expresso cafe - as good a start as any to a days riding!  As more people arrived, I noted Janet (esteemed leader of Bicycle Belles) crossing the car park, and we agreed to partner up for the treasure hunt.


View to Beeston from Gresford lanes

Sue and Janet enjoy a break between events
 The route was pleasant, the weather glorious, and the clues devious!  We got most of them right (despite having an answer for everything - no comment!), and came second out of the four teams (teams of two).


Noting the number on the postbox
 Many lanes were retraced in the afternoon map reading.  Janet left me and I joined forces with a couple of friends (although it should be completed alone).  The idea is simple - you are given a list of map co-ordinates (24 of them), which you have 15 minutes to plot on your map and decide a route to visit as many as you can.  The locations were all post boxes, so easy to spot as bright red!  All are worth at least a point - some up to 5 points!   We didn't really enter as we rode together but it was most pleasant and we got 18 points!  I had an advantage as I knew the lanes very well, so could quickly navigate between points, but a strong headwind made us rethink the points we were aiming for.  You only have two hours to complete the challenge, which is not long!

This is the first map reading comp I have taken part in locally, and I think I have devised some strategies for next time. 

Many thanks to Lowri for the time and effort put in to devising both competitions, and look forward to next years events!

No comments:

Post a Comment